Monday, April 19, 2010

Recruiting=Shore Duty....NOT!

It was many long years ago, 6 to be exact, that my husband a DC2 and I decided we would take Navy Recruiting orders back to our hometown of Sacramento, California. It was his "shore duty rotation", now if you've been in the Navy for more than 5 minutes, I'm sure you've have heard that shore duty is kick back duty. Sailors and their wives put up with carzy deployment schedules with the promise of shore duty ahead. At the time we were living in Newport News, Virginia so anything closer to Sacramento was exciting for us! We had met people who had been recruiters and they never mentioned anything like, stressful goals, long hours or working Saturdays!

If you're reading this you more than likely are already a Recruiter's wife, so you know the myth is FALSE! I fought back against the craziness that is recruiting duty, for a good year, my husband would say more like 2. But I finally realized the best way to survive it, is to learn how to use the resources out there, as little as they may be, to co-exist!

I guess I did a fairly good job because my husband decided we could both handle living out his Naval career as an NC- Navy Counselor Recruiter! Everyday I struggle as a mother and a Navy wife and being away from my Navy family is hard as well, but being proactive and utilizing any resource available is key in keeping your Navy family running.

No comments:

Post a Comment